Off-duty officer stabbed while trying to break up fight

UPDATE @ August 19 2018 | A teenager has been charged with the stabbing of an off-duty police officer in western Sydney.

It’s alleged the 17-year-old attacked the Senior Constable as he tried to detain him, following a fight outside a community hall in Bonnyrigg Heights on Friday night.

The officer was rushed to hospital and is now recovering from surgery.


EARLIER @ August 18 2018 | An off-duty police officer has required surgery, after being stabbed while intervening in a fight outside a community hall in western Sydney.

Emergency services were called to Chopin Close in Bonnyrigg Heights about 10.55pm on Friday to find a 36-year-old man with a stab wound to his torso.

In a Police media release, it was explained that the Senior Constable was a guest at a birthday party being held at the hall.

“(He) intervened in an altercation outside the hall after a teenager allegedly attempted to punch another partygoer in the face,” the statement reads.

“The teenager and three other males fled from the hall across Simpson Street and the officer pursued them on foot.”

“(He) tried to arrest one of the teens who resisted, and they both fell to the ground.

“During the struggle the officer was stabbed in the abdomen however he was able to detain the assailant until assistance arrived.”

He was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics before being rushed to Liverpool Hospital under police escort.

He has undergone surgery and is now in recovery where he remains in a “serious but stable condition”.

Southwest Metropolitan Region Commander, Assistant Commissioner Peter Thurtell said the injured officer’s action is testament to the adage that police officers are never ‘off-duty’.

“Despite being stabbed the off-duty officer was still able to restrain the offender until he received assistance,” Assistant Commissioner Thurtell said.

“The officer responded without hesitation to prevent any further incidents.

“Once again, this act of bravery confirms that police officers are never off-duty, and will up-hold their oath of office to protect life and property at all times.”

A 10cm knife was seized at the crime scene and will be forensically examined.

The 17-year-old, who was detained at the scene by the injured off-duty officer was taken to Fairfield Hospital for treatment to minor facial injuries and has since been released.

He is assisting with inquiries at Fairfield Police Station.

Three other males remain on the run.