One new COVID-19 case in Qld as nursing home restrictions imposed

Restrictions on visitors at aged care facilities right across the south-east, including the Gold Coast, will be reimposed amid concerns about the spread of coronavirus.

It comes as Queensland records one new case of coronavirus but it is not linked to a cluster involving a group of women who lied about being in Melbourne.

A man in his 20s was diagnosed in hotel quarantine after recently returning from overseas.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The man flew back to Maroochydore on Jetstar flight JQ790 from Sydney on Friday with other passengers now being contacted.

The cluster sparked by the women who went to Melbourne remains at five.

An aged care worker was diagnosed on Saturday, forcing the Bolton Clark aged care facility at Pinjarra Hills to be locked down.

Officials have so far tested 104 residents at the home with all coming back negative.

“This is wonderful news and I want to thank the families of the loved ones and I want to  assure everyone we’re doing everything possible to keep your loved ones safe during this time,” Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young says the nursing home has been doing a ‘fantastic’ job since the staff member was first suspected of having COVID-19.

But she says it is just the start.

“Those people now need to remain in quarantine for the continuing 14 days. One resident, unfortunately couldn’t be tested so we’ll continue to work with that resident to make sure they’re safe,” Dr Young said.

The State Government has also reimposed restrictions on visitors and staff movements at aged care facilities right across south-east Queensland including the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich, Redlands and the Scenic Rim.

“I want all families to remain calm, this is a precaution, this is just to ensure that over then next seven to 14 days we’ve got all of the measures in place to keep our most vulnerable safe,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“This is just a precaution and everyone should be calm but this is to put the interests of our most vulnerable front and centre in these coming weeks.”

Officials have not given a timeframe for how long the restrictions will be in place but say they hope to keep it to a minimum.

Dr Young says we still have a while to go before they can be sure the Melbourne cluster hasn’t caused a major outbreak in Queensland.

“We’ve got to keep alert for at least the next week, before we can say we’re out of that risky period. So we have got another week that we have got to be so alert, another week of everybody maintaining social distancing and doing everything, as people have been doing so well since the start.”

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments