South East Queensland has once again narrowly avoided a snap COVID-19 lockdown, despite the state recording another new local case today.
The case is the mother of a four-year-old girl who contracted the virus from an infected Logan truck driver who is a family friend.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the woman was already in isolation, so authorities are not too concerned.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“They’re already in isolation, so that’s fantastic news, and it’s very low risk because she was already in home quarantine,” the Premier said.
However, Ms Palaszczuk said the actions of the more than 1000 families from The Boulevard Early Learning Centre and Windaroo State School, who have been ordered into quarantine, will determine whether or not there is an outbreak in Queensland.
“We really need you to abide by that home quarantine, we saw how well it worked, especially when we dealt with the Indooroopilly cluster,” she said.
“I’m asking all of those families that have been told to go into home quarantine thank you, you are keeping us all safe.”
The Premier said the latest virus scare proves why it is so important to get vaccinated.
“It is imperative that you get vaccinated because this virus will pop up in the near future,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“I cannot stress to you – if you’re sitting at home, and you’re thinking, well, I might just wait, don’t wait.
“Every single person that gets vaccinated is protecting us from having a huge outbreak.”
Meantime, the State’s top doctor also confirmed that two cases have been detected interstate in two people who had spent time in the Queensland community.
One is a fully-vaccinated Qantas pilot who lives on a property in Kingaroy and flew from Brisbane to Hong Kong and back to Melbourne where he tested positive.
The pilot also works as a part-time freight truck driver and had been in the northern NSW city of Tamworth on August 20.
Dr Young said the other case is a truck driver from NSW.
“So I also think he is low risk to Queensland, he is now back in NSW where he tested positive.”
Queensland health authorities are continuing to plead for anyone in the Beenleigh and Logan areas who feel unwell to come forward and get tested.
A full list of the state’s latest COVID-19 exposure sites can be found here.