One new Sydney COVID-19 case after ‘fleeting’ contact in store

New South Wales has recorded one new local case of COVID-19 with a man testing positive after ‘fleeting’ contact with an infected person in a Sydney department store.

It comes as the government reinstates mandatory mask-wearing on public transport across Greater Sydney.

The latest case brings the eastern suburbs cluster to four.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The Bondi man attended Myer in Bondi Junction on June 12 at the same time as an infected transport driver who tested positive earlier this week.

New South Wales Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant says they are still determining how much contact the pair had, but so far it appears to be minimal.

“What we know is the check-in times that they have checked in was close, that led us to ask for CCTV footage and it showed they are in the same section at the same time,” Dr Chant said.

“We’re looking at different angles to watch how they were moving around to see if there is a more direct exposure.”

New South Wales Health says the latest case was considered infectious from June 13 and had been to several venues in Bondi Junction, Redfern, Newtown and Campbelltown.

He also caught a train from Newtown to Bondi Junction on June 13 and from Bondi Junction to Campbelltown and back on June 15.

The list of exposure sites has been extended with a number of ‘casual contact’ sites now upgraded to ‘close contact’ sites, which will see dozens more people forced into two weeks quarantine.

They include Myer at Bondi Junction on June 12 and the Westfield Bondi Junction Food Court on June 13.

New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian has urged anyone who has been to any exposure site not to travel anywhere for the time being.

In relation to people who are currently deemed to be casual contacts, if you attended a venue which is on the health list, we strongly recommend that you don’t go away anywhere. Because if health updates that to a close contacts you will have to come back and isolate,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“So we are strongly recommending that if you are a casual contact that you not travel in the next little while and make sure you follow the health advice in relation to the venue you visited.”

The Premier has also announced masks will be mandatory on public transport across Greater Sydney for the next five days.

Masks are also being recommended for all indoor venues but will not be compulsory.

Meantime, experts have not been able to determine whether a positive test involving a man in Castle Hill is an old case or a false positive.

However, none of the man’s close contacts has tested positive.

Updated list of NSW Exposure sites: 

Source: NSW Health

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments