One dead, 15 hospitalised after gas leak

ONE man is dead and fourteen others have been taken to hospital – two of them in a critical condition –  following a gas leak at a paper mill on the New South Wales-Victoria border.

The men are believed to have been working at the Norske Skog paper mill in Ettamogah, Albury when they inhaled the toxic gas around 3pm on Thursday.

It’s understood fifteen employees were taken to hospitals, three of whom were in a critical condition. Sadly, one of them could not be saved and has since passed away.


The Ettamogah paper mill was evacuated while firefighters moved in and ventilated the building.

It’s the second major incident at the paper mill in as many months after a large fire destroyed around 300 tonnes of recyclable paper at the factory on April 23.

WorkSafe Victoria is investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.

No further information was available at the time of writing.