CATE Blanchett has won the Oscar for best actress at the Academy Awards in Los Angeles.
The Aussie actress was awarded the gold statue for her role in Woody Allen’s Blue Jasmine.
It is Blanchett’s second Oscar – she won Best Supporting Actress for The Aviator in 2005.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Blanchett’s win topped off a very successful night for Australians.
Costume designer Catherine Martin became Australia’s the most successful Oscar winner, after winning Best Costume Design and Best Art Direction, alongside Beverley Dunn, for The Great Gatsby.
Martin previously won two Oscars in the same categories for Moulin Rouge and has now won more Academy Awards than any other Australian.
The previous record holder was costume designer Orry George Kelly, who won Oscars for An American In Paris (1951), Les Girls (1957) and Some Like It Hot (1959).
• Best Picture: 12 Years A Slave
• Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
• Best Actress: Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
• Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
• Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
• Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years A Slave
• Best Cinematography: Gravity
• Best Editing: Gravity
• Best Art Direction: The Great Gatsby
• Best Original Score: Gravity
• Best Song: ‘Let it Go’, Frozen
• Best Makeup: Dallas Buyers Club
• Best Costume Design: The Great Gatsby
• Best Live Action Short: Helium
• Best Animated Short: Mr Hublot
• Best Animated Feature: Frozen
• Best Documentary: 20 Feet From Stardom
• Best Documentary Short: The Lady in Number 6
• Best Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty (Italy)
• Best Sound Mixing: Gravity
• Best Sound Effects Editing: Gravity
• Best Visual Effects: Gravity