Panthers player Tyrone May stood down after being charged over lewd videos

Update @ 5.00pm: The NRL has confirmed Panthers player Tyrone May has been suspended under the game’s new no-fault stand down policy.

It comes after May was charged with recording and disseminating intimate images without consent.

In a statement, NRL boss Todd Greenberg says they are making no judgement on May’s guilt or innocence.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“That is a matter for the courts,” he said.

“Our new policy provides for the automatic stand down of players on a no-fault basis where they are charged with serious criminal matters.

“It also provides discretion for players to be stood down for other matters, particularly where the criminal allegations involve women.

“In the circumstances of the current charges I have determined to place Tyrone May on a no-fault stand down.

“The no-fault stand down will remain in force until the court proceedings are concluded.”

The Panthers say the club supports the NRL’s decision.

May will be sidelined from the game until his court proceedings are finalised.

He is not due to make his first appearance until May 1.

Panthers Chairman David O’Neill said it was not about passing judgement.

Panthers acknowledges the seriousness of the charges and agrees the decision is in the best interests of the game.

May will continue to train with the club and we will work closely with the NRL and the RLPA to ensure his wellibeing

Earlier @ 11.30am: The NRL’s horror off-season has gone from bad to worse with Panthers player Tyrone May charged over lewd videos.

The 22-year-old attended Penrith Police station on Tuesday where he was arrested and charged over two separate incidents last year.

Videos of May were leaked on social media last week, just hours after NRL boss Todd Greenberg issued a stern warning to all players.

Police allege the 22-year-old filmed a sexual act with a woman in Coffs Harbour in February 2018.

He is also accused of filming another sexual act with another woman at Kingswood in Sydney’s west in May, 2018.

Police say while the sex was consensual the woman had no idea they were being filmed.

Both women contacted Police following the leaking of the videos.

May has now been charged with two counts of recording intimate image without consent and two counts of disseminate image without consent.

He’s been granted conditional bail to appear before Penrith Local Court on Wednesday 1 May 2019.

It will now be up to NRL boss Todd Greenberg to decide if May should be stood down while his matter is before the courts.

The NRL Integrity Unit is still investigating another video involving two other Panthers players

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments