Police choppers track car from northern Gold Coast to NSW

UPDATE: A MAN has been charged over an alleged long-distance Police pursuit which stretched the entire Gold Coast and ended up on in New South Wales.

Around 8.30pm on Saturday, Police from Tweed/Byron Local Area Command were alerted by their Queensland counterparts, a man they were following was about to cross the border.

Both the Gold Coast and Brisbane-based Police helicopters had tracked the car from the Pacific Motorway in Yatala, around 7.20pm, to suburban streets in Southport.


Road spikes were rolled on on Olsen Avenue, but the car continued with one flat tyre, until the driver got in a mate’s car and the pursuit continued south.

The second vehicle crossed the border about 8.50pm and a road pursuit was initiated when the driver allegedly failed to stop when directed.

The 27-year-old man was arrested by NSW Police on the Pacific Highway at Tweed Heads about 9.15pm.

He was taken to Tweed Heads Police Station where he was charged with 12 offences including dangerous and reckless driving, drive recklessly/furiously, driving whilst suspended and breaching a warrant.

He has been held in custody to face Tweed Heads Local Court today.

EARLIER: A DRAMATIC car chase, which stretched from Yatala to the Tweed, has ended with the arrest of two men.

Police say a car heading south on the M1 around 7.20pm on Saturday failed to stop for them at Yatala, with the driver instead speeding away.

Both police helicopters, POLAIR 1 and POLAIR 2 tracked the movements of the vehicle along the Pacific Highway (M1) and then through the streets of Southport and Runaway Bay.

Road spikes were laid out on the southbound lanes of Olsen Avenue and managed to deflate one of the car’s tyres.

But, the driver continued on just three good tyres for about 15 minutes.

He then got out of the car and jumped into another vehicle being driven by a second man, believed to be his mate.

The pair continued travelling in a south bound direction, crossing the border into New South Wales, where they were detained by police.

Investigations into the incident are continuing and no charges have yet been laid.