Police confirm cigarette sparked devastating Hinterland bushfire

A discarded cigarette is being blamed for September’s devastating fire in the Gold Coast Hinterland.

Eleven homes and the historic Binna Burra Lodge were destroyed in the blaze.

Police had previously refused to reveal the cause of the fire following an extensive investigation, citing privacy reasons.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


It was initially thought the blaze was deliberately lit but Police have now confirmed it was accidental.

Police say two teenage boys discarded a cigarette in the area, sparking the blaze which was fanned by strong winds and warm temperatures.

Detectives spoke to the 17 and 19-year-olds but the pair will not be charged.

The teens are understood to be members of the local community.

Image | QPS

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments