Police finalise investigation into NSW men behind latest cluster

Queensland Police have confirmed no enforcement action will be taken against three men from New South Wales, who are believed to be the cause of the state’s latest COVID-19 cluster.

According to the State’s top doctor, one of the men visited the father of a Brisbane school student who tested positive to the virus last week.

“The best that we can see is it’s linked to cases in New South Wales,” Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young said over the weekend.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“So the father, who these children saw on Fathers’ Day, actually had a visitor from New South Wales stay with him overnight on Fathers’ Day.”

The men are also believed to have spent time on the Gold Coast, but Dr Young said she was confident their time on the glitter strip was low risk.

Police launched an investigation into the men’s movements to determine whether or not they were allowed to be in the state.

Following enquiries, detectives confirmed overnight that the trio have been cleared of any wrongdoing.

“The Queensland Police Service as part of the ongoing response against COVID-19 reviewed the border passes of the three men who crossed into Queensland on September 5 from New South Wales,” police said.

“Initial inquires indicate the three men travelled on valid border declaration passes and lawfully entered Queensland.”

Police said no enforcement action will be taken and that the matter has now been finalised.

The State’s latest COVID-19 cluster currently stands at 7 infections.