UPDATE 5:00 PM | A 13-YEAR-OLD boy has been cautioned over a bomb scare which triggered two evacuations at a Gold Coast school on Wednesday.
The drama started just before 6am when a school cleaner found a threatening message scribbled on an envelope that had been left at the front gate of Palm Beach Currumbin State High School.
The envelope was packed with a white powder-type substance and accompanied by further threats which police say were distributed to iPhone users on social media via “AirDrop”.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The incident plunged the school into lockdown and triggered not one but two evacuations while emergency services responded and examined the suspicious package and assessed the threats.
Firefighters attended along with Hazmat crews who, after testing the white powder, deemed it to be non-toxic.
The powder is thought to have been flour.
Police released a statement on Wednesday afternoon, confirming that a 13-year-old had been “cautioned” over the incident and released without charge.
Police said the teen was “dealt with under the Youth Justice Act”.
Investigations into the matter are continuing.
Police are appealing for anyone who may have information which could assist with their investigation to come forward and contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
UPDATE @ 11.45am: Palm Beach Currumbin High has reopened following a bomb hoax, which triggered not one, but two evacuations this morning.
The school was placed into lockdown around 6.00am and parents advised not to drop their kids at school after an employee, believed to be a cleaner, located an envelope with a threat written on the outside and a white powdery substance inside.
Scores of officers and emergency crews descended on school grounds and launched a major police investigation.
Around 9.30am, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services officers determined that the white powder was non-toxic.
The school has since reopened and police are interviewing a number of students.
Investigations are ongoing.
EARLIER @ 10.00am: A police operation remains ongoing at Palm Beach Currumbin High following the discovery of a suspicious envelope this morning.
Around 6.00am, a school employee located an envelope with a threat written on the outside and a white powdery substance inside.
Police and emergency crews raced to the scene and the school was placed into lockdown.
Around 9.30am, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services officers determined that the white powder was non-toxic, however the school remains in lockdown as a precaution while police continue their investigations.
Parents have been told not to be alarmed.
— The Morning Show (@morningshowon7) May 3, 2017
#BREAKING Gold Coast school back in lockdown as school alarm bells ring out.
— 7News Yahoo7 (@Y7News) May 3, 2017
EARLIER @ 8.20am: Palm Beach Currumbin High has been given the all clear following a scare this morning.
The campus was shut down just before 6.45am due to a major police incident, however police confirmed to myGC that the school has since been deemed safe following ongoing investigations.
Students are expected to be welcomed back onto school grounds shortly.
— Nine News Gold Coast (@9NewsGoldCoast) May 2, 2017
EARLIER @ 7.25am: PARENTS with kids attending Palm Beach Currumbin High are being urged to hold off on dropping students at school this morning.
Officers have told myGC that a police incident is ongoing at the high school.
Streets surrounding the school have been shut off with emergency crews including police, fire and ambulance services on scene.
Parents received a text message around 6.45am alerting them of the situation and telling them not to attend the campus grounds.
Students are being urged to wait until the school is given the all clear.
— Sunrise (@sunriseon7) May 2, 2017
There are no further details available at this time.