Eight charged after police injured in violent brawl at Ipswich football match

UPDATE: POLICE have tonight charged eight people following a violent brawl at a football match at North Ipswich.

Police said a man was being arrested at the game around 5pm on Sunday when it will be alleged that a large number of other people at the game have attempted to intervene.

It will be further alleged that as the man was being placed into a police vehicle, an officer was punched in the head. He then hit his face a second time on a concrete gutter during a struggle.


He was rushed to St Andrews Private Hospital for treatment to facial injuries.

Multiple police units responded to urgent calls for help and arrested a number of people.

A 25-year-old Redbank Plains woman and a 23-year-old Kingston man have been charged with two counts each of serious assault police.

Other charges include;

  • 25-year-old Ellen Grove man charged with one count of obstruct police.
  • 19-year-old Redbank Plains man charged with two counts of obstruct police and one count of public nuisance.
  • 21-year-old Goodna man charged with with two counts of obstruct police and one count of public nuisance.
  • 25-year-old Riverview man charged with two counts of obstructing police.
  • 22-year-old Carina man charged with one count of obstruct police.
  • 22-year-old North Booval man charged with one count each of public nuisance and obstruct police.

They are all due to appear in Ipswich Magistrates Court on October 16.

Police are also appealing if anyone witnessed the incident or took any footage to please contact them via Police Link or Crime Stoppers.
Investigations are continuing.

EARLIER: A POLICE officer has been whisked to hospital with facial injuries after a massive brawl broke out between up to 100 men and women at an Ipswich sporting ground this afternoon.

The violent fight erupted at a local football match between the Brothers and the Norths shortly before 5.30pm.

It’s understood the situation quickly escalated after a police officer was singled out by a large group of people and punched in the face.

Seven News reports that up to 15 people have since been arrested and are being transported to the watchhouse for processing.