The State’s top cop has confirmed investigations are underway into how a Gold Coast man, who has tested positive to COVID-19, managed to cross the border into Queensland.
The man, aged in his 30s, was diagnosed with the virus yesterday and is believed to have been infectious in the community for at least 10 days.
Queensland Health officials confirmed this morning that the man is an Uber driver, sparking fears he may have infected dozens of customers across the city.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
But the ride-share service has since confirmed in a statement that the man has not driven an Uber in more than a month.
“We can confirm that this driver-partner has not driven with the Uber platform since September 19th,” the statement said.
“We work with public health authorities in each state, and have processes in place to temporarily remove an individual’s access to the Uber app if authorities report an infection.
“We may also limit other individuals access to the app if health authorities advise there is a risk.”
Uber continued by saying “the well-being of those who use the Uber platform is a key priority for us, and we have a dedicated team working around the clock to support them the very best we can”.
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll said officers are investigating the movements of the man, who is unvaccinated.
Early indications are that the man had recently been in Melbourne, but Commissioner Carroll said they’re still trying to work out exactly how he crossed the border.
“We need to find out when he left, when he came back, what he did, and obviously what he has done since,” she said.
“We’re not sure whether he flew at this stage or drove.
“It’s disappointing because we have these incursions by people doing the wrong thing, and as a result of people doing the wrong thing we have positive cases in Queensland”.
Commissioner Carroll said the man would be held to account if found to have breached the rules.
“We depend on people doing the right thing and this person it appears at this stage has not done the right thing,” she said.
“It will be investigated and if need be he will be held to account, either issued with an infringement notice or charged, but he will be held to account.”
The man lives at the Island Beach Resort in Broadbeach, which has now been listed as a “casual contact venue” from Saturday 16 October to Tuesday 19 October.
Queensland Health issued a public health alert for the complex on Thursday afternoon, but officials earlier in the day admitted they are having trouble tracing the man’s other movements as he hasn’t used a QR code to check-in anywhere for over a month.
Authorities are also unable to speak to the man to verify where he has been as he is so ill he can barely talk.
Further sites are expected to be revealed in the coming days.