A police operation targeting drivers for illegal phone use, speeding in school zones and vehicle standards has resulted in more than 2900 infringement notices.
NSW Police Traffic and Highway Patrol Command conducted Operation Compliance 3 yesterday (Wednesday 12 August 2015).
The state-wide blitz was initiated to focus on responsible driving behaviour and led to the issuing of 1199 infringements for mobile phone, 1116 for school zone infringements and 612 for vehicle standards.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The Central Metropolitan Region had the worst result of the day, with 864 infringements issued. This was followed by North West Metro (673); South West Metro (501); Northern (413); Western (151) and Southern (137). Another 188 tickets were given out by officers attached to the Traffic Services Group.
Commander of the state’s Traffic & Highway Patrol Command, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, said that mobile phone use while driving continues to be a major risk factor and motorists are still either oblivious to the dangers, or simply don’t care.
Since 1 November 2012, it has been an offence for drivers to talk on their mobile phone unless it is secured in a cradle, or can be operated without touching the handset – for example, through the use of hands-free or Bluetooth technology.
“To see nearly 1200 motorists using mobile phones in a single day shows that they aren’t getting the message. We know that using a mobile phone is a major distraction for drivers, and this act has tragically claimed lives on our roads,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.
“Road users need to understand that driving is a complex task. Anything that takes your mind or eyes off the road, or your hands off the wheel, not only compromises your safety, but that of everyone else on the road. Being distracted slows down your reaction times and puts you in danger of failing to see traffic lights, stop signs or other road users, including pedestrians and cyclists, increasing the chances of having a crash.
“Similarly with school zones, to see over 1100 offences putting our greatest assets, our children at risk, is unacceptable, and won’t be tolerated.
“These operations, which involve all available Traffic & Highway Patrol Command and general duties police at any time, are clear proof that road users need to start taking greater personal responsibility for their driving and riding behaviour.”
“The current road toll is 197 crashes resulting in 208 deaths, which is 9 crashes and 12 deaths up on this time last year. It is time for motorists to get the message,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.