Police officer stabbed in neck at shopping centre

UPDATE at 5:25 PM | A POLICE officer is in hospital, undergoing surgery after being stabbed in the neck with a pair of scissors at a shopping centre in Brisbane.

The male senior constable was attacked while speaking with a man at Inala Civic Centre just after 2pm on Sunday.

He’s been rushed to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in a serious but stable condition and is undergoing surgery.


In a statement, Queensland Police said two officers were speaking with a man for non-serious offences when without warning he picked up a pair of scissors from a nearby shop bench and swung them at police.

The male senior constable was struck and stabbed in the neck, while the second female officer tasered the man.

Police said the shock if the taser “momentarily incapacitated” the man, before he got up and ran off.

The female officer provided immediate first aid to her injured colleague before he was treated by paramedics and rushed to hospital.

Incredibly, while the officer is in a serious condition, his injuries are not considered life-threatening.

His family are at the hospital, waiting for him to come out of surgery.

About an hour after the attack, police received a triple zero call, alerting them to an incident at a home on Clipper Street.

It’s alleged the same man who stabbed the police officer showed up at the house, armed with a shovel.

The man was allegedly threatening the occupants of the home while trying to steal a car from the address.

He allegedly threatened police when they arrived and was taken into custody after being tasered a second time.

Thankfully, the occupants the house were uninjured. Investigations are continuing.

FIRST at 4:30 PM | A POLICE officer has been rushed to hospital after being stabbed at a shopping centre in Brisbane.

The officer was reportedly attacked with a pair of scissors at Inala Civic Centre in the city’s south on Sunday.

It’s understood the male officer was stabbed in the neck or the shoulder about 2.30pm.

The injured officer has been rushed to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

It’s understood he will need to undergo surgery.

The male offender allegedly fled the scene immediately after the attack and forced his way into a nearby home.

He was tracked down by police and arrested shortly before 3.30pm.

The exact circumstances surrounding the incident are not yet known.

Part of the Inala shopping centre has been cordoned off and declared a crime scene.

The incident comes just days after a man armed with a rifle opened fire on police at Ipswich.

This is a breaking news story. No further information was available at the time of writing.