Wanted man who sparked northern Gold Coast lockdown arrested

LATEST @ 4.45 PM | A man who sent a northern Gold Coast suburb and school into lockdown has finally been arrested after almost two days on the run.

Police confirmed Mark Lutgenau was taken into custody by specialist officers in Nerang just after 4.00pm on Wednesday.

“At 4.06pm this afternoon, police made an emergency declaration under the PSPA at Baloo Street, where they arrested a 37-year-old man shortly after,” Queensland Police said.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The man remains under police guard in the Gold Coast University Hospital after being bitten on the arm by a police dog during the arrest.

The 37-year-old had been on the run since a domestic violence incident at an Upper Coomera home on Monday night.

During that time, he is alleged to have been taunting police on social media with a number of comments and posts.

“I have nothing left in my life and will be in a shootout with police,” he allegedly wrote on Facebook.

As a result, police were put on high alert, with a note sent to officers today urging them to “maintain vigilance, situational awareness and avoid complacency.”

It comes after police on Tuesday were forced to lockdown Ormeau State School and make an emergency declaration under the Public Safety Preservation Act over fears the wanted man may have been hiding in nearby bushland.

However, the search failed to find any sign of Mr Lutgenau.

Charges are still yet to be laid, with investigations continuing.

EARLIER @ 11.45 AM | A man who sent a northern Gold Coast suburb and school into lockdown has taken to social media, allegedly threatening a shootout with police.

Wanted man Mark Lutgenau, who is believed to be armed with a gun, remains on the run after a domestic violence incident at Upper Coomera on Monday night.

The 37-year-old is believed to be taunting police with comments on social media, with one post allegedly reading “I have nothing left in my life and will be in a shootout with police”.

As a result, police have been put on high alert, with a note sent to officers today urging them to “maintain vigilance, situational awareness and avoid complacency.”

There were reports all northern Gold Coast police stations had been placed into lockdown, but Assistant Commissioner Mark Wheeler has confirmed that is not the case.

“We are aware of threats the man has made and all precautions have been taken… The public is advised there’s no threat to the community,” Assistant Commissioner Wheeler said.

It comes after officers yesterday pleaded for Mr Lutgenau to come forward and hand himself in.

“We want a peaceful resolution for his own personal safety and the safety of the public,” Acting Inspector Kevin Gant said.

Subscribe
Notify of
1 Comment
oldest
newest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Another Gold Coast Dead S&%!….Let the cops open fire at him.