TWENTY-TWO people have been arrested and charged with 70 drug related offences following investigations into the source of a dangerous drug which triggered a series of overdoses on the Gold Coast last month.
The Queensland Police Service and Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) last month announced a joint investigation into the mass overdose, which was supported by the use of CCC hearings.
Acting on information obtained through these hearings, detectives executed 17 search warrants on residences and properties across the Gold Coast yesterday and today.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
During the raids, officers allegedly seized thousands of dollars worth of MDMA, cocaine, methylamphetamines and cannabis, along with stolen property, guns and cash.
As a result, 22 people have been charged with 70 drug related offences, including offences of supplying, producing and possessing dangerous drugs, and other drug and firearm related matters.
The 22 people have been banned from the Surfers Paradise party precinct and will appear in the Southport Magistrates Court over the coming weeks.
Detective Inspector Mark Thompson said the arrests would have a significant impact on the supply of dangerous drugs in Surfers Paradise, particularly leading up to Schoolies which starts on the Gold Coast this weekend.
“Offenders alleged to have supplied drugs within the Safe Night Precinct have been placed on bail with strict conditions not to attend Surfers Paradise, particularly during Schoolies,” Detective Inspector Thompson said.
“This operation has been an outstanding success and will have a significant impact on drug supply on the Gold Coast.
“The distribution of these drugs pose serious health risks affecting the lives of our children and members of the community and we will continue the fight to reducing the negative impacts of dangerous drugs on our community.”
Investigations are continuing and more arrests are expected.
— Nine News Gold Coast (@9NewsGoldCoast) November 16, 2016