WITH southeast Queensland in the grip of bushfire season, firefighters are reminding residents that a single spark from a power tool or machine could be enough to trigger a massive blaze.
Rural Fire Service Area Director Kaye Healing said the current dry conditions meant even the smallest fire had the potential to spread quickly.
“Machinery such as tractors, slashers, welders and grinders can start grass fires, so anyone undertaking work around their property needs to do so with extreme caution,” Ms Healing said.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“Our crews have recently attended a number of fires that were accidentally started through activities such as welding and slashing.
“Current fire weather conditions are catching people by surprise, and they just aren’t prepared for how quickly a fire can start and spread.”
Ms Healing said there were several precautions people should take when using power tools or machinery.
“If you must undertake these activities during dry conditions, you need to have appropriate resources to extinguish a fire if one starts,” she said.
“If possible, have someone other than the tool operator available to watch closely for ignitions.
“There is no room for complacency. One spark is all it takes to ignite a blaze that can destroy property, infrastructure and lives.”
Ms Healing urged the community to report fires immediately to Triple Zero (000).
“The sooner we can respond, the sooner we can have the fire under control,” she said.
“It’s also vital people have a Bushfire Survival Plan, outlining what actions they will take to protect their family and property if a fire threatens.”