Gold Coasters can now start casting their votes for the federal election as pre-poll voting centres have now opened their doors.
More than 4 million people are expected to prevote by visiting an early voting or mobile polling centre, or by a postal vote, the ABC reports.
However for this election, only locals who are entitled to pre-poll will be able to vote early.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Voters are eligible to pre-poll if they:
- are outside the electorate where you are enrolled to vote
- are more than 8km from a polling place
- are travelling
- are unable to leave their workplace to vote
- are seriously ill, infirm or due to give birth shortly (or caring for someone who is)
- are a patient in hospital and can’t vote at the hospital
- have religious beliefs that prevent them from attending a polling place
- are in prison serving a sentence of less than three years or otherwise detained
- are a silent elector
- have a reasonable fear for their safety.
There are a number of voting centres on the Gold Coast for pre poll voters. For the full list of booths and opening hours, click here.