Premier gives greenlight for cruise ships to return to Qld

The Queensland Premier has confirmed cruise ships will soon be allowed back into the sunshine state after a two-year hiatus due to COVID-19.

The move comes after the Federal Government announced earlier this week that they would not be renewing the ban on large international cruise vessels.

The ban, which was put in place at the height of the pandemic, is due to come to an end on April 17.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Speaking to reporters on Friday, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she feels now is the right time for cruising to resume.

“Cruise ships are coming back to Queensland in June,” the Premier said.

“This is fantastic news for the industry, it’s something that the eastern states have been working on and discussing at National Cabinet.

“And I’m very pleased that now we have the health protocols, that have actually been agreed on, it means the ship is ready to sail and Queenslanders are ready to get on board”.

There will be a number of additional safety measures in place, including a requirement for passengers and crew to be double-vaccinated.

“There will also be covid testing and mask-wearing before and after embarking,” the Premier said.

“So these are added measures to make sure that people are feeling safe when they go onto a cruise ship and when they disembark”.

The announcement will be music to the ears of the local cruise industry, which has been pleading for a return for months.

Queensland cruising is worth roughly $1 billion and 3,500 jobs.