THE Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is advising the public to return recalled products for a full refund on clothes affected by carcinogen known as Azo dyes.
- Myer Pty Ltd – Milkshake Classic Jeans
- Myer Pty Ltd – Wayne Junior Acid Wash Jeans
- Target Australia Pty Ltd – Kid’s and Ladies Denim Jeans
- Just Jeans Pty Ltd – Junior Girls Jeans, Junior Boys Pants and Shorts
- Just Jeans Pty Ltd – Just Jeans Junior Girls Skinny Jeans & Junior Boys Denim Shorts
- Rivers Australia – Doghouse style children’s dark-denim jeans & Doghouse style children’s black jeans
- Pillow Talk Pty Ltd – Pillow Talk 50/50 Poly/Cotton 225 Thread Count Plain Dye Range – Red Only
- Trade Secret – Firetrap Blackseal Super Skinny Girls Jeans
ACCC found azo dyes – synthetic dyes used for colouring a variety of consumer goods such as foods, cosmetics, carpets, clothes, leather and textiles – of carcinogen components.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“A small proportion of azo dyes can contain, or can break down to form, a class of chemical substances referred to as ‘aromatic amines’. While consumer exposure to hazardous azo dyes is likely to be very low, the associated cancer risks give cause for concern. As a result, exposure to certain azo dyes, including benzidine-based dyes, should be minimised or eliminated,” ACCC wrote in its official statement.