QUEENSLAND has closed its border to much of Sydney as the COVID-19 cluster in New South Wales continues to grow.
From 1am on Thursday, Queensland will shut its borders to the City of Sydney, Woolhara, Bayside, Canada Bay, Inner West and Randwick. The local area of Waverly has already been declared a hotspot.
The cluster around Sydney’s eastern suburbs is quickly spreading, with 21 cases confirmed on Tuesday. NSW Health is yet to provide its latest update this morning.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has warned the restrictions could expand to other areas if case numbers continue to grow.
Anyone entering Queensland who has been in any of these areas within the past 14 days must go into hotel quarantine.
Non-Queensland residents will need an exemption to enter Queensland.
— Yvette D'Ath MP (@YvetteDAth) June 22, 2021
She also confirmed police patrols at the border will be increased following the announcement.
“There will be a lot more random intercepts,” the Premier said.
“Please, if you’re from those areas, please do the right thing and stay at home.
“We’d love to welcome you back to Queensland at a further date.”
The Premier has warned the restrictions could expand if the case numbers in Sydney continue to grow.
In some good news for Queensland, there were no new local COVID-19 cases detected in Brisbane. One case was detected in hotel quarantine.
Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young also revealed there was evidence of a spread of the highly infectious Delta variant within the Brisbane Airport Novotel Hotel.
It’s understood a couple, who arrived on June 8, caught the virus from another guest at the hotel, who was staying in an adjacent room.
“We did have some cases that were reported as hotel assessed and found in hotel quarantine,” Dr Young said.
“We had two people in one room, and one person in the room adjacent and that person in the room adjacent tested positive first and then two days later, the two people in the adjacent room tested positive.
“At the time we thought it was just overseas acquired but now that I’ve got the genome sequencing back, it’s clear that the first person has given it to the other two people.”
Queensland Health is working to contact 30 people who had been staying on the same floor who have since left the hotel. They will be forced to undergo further testing to make sure they have not acquired the virus.
The Premier said this latest breach is further proof of the need for regional quarantine.
“This Delta variant is spreading quickly in our hotels, so we are inspecting that and we’ll be doing an investigation in relation to that matter.”