Qld government reacts to footage of vicious schoolgirl attack

UPDATE: Two teenagers have been charged after allegedly filming the vicious attack of a schoolgirl in Rockhampton on Tuesday.

Detectives from Rockhamption Child Protection Investigation Unit today executed a number of search warrants and seized digital evidence.

Two girls, aged 13 and 15 have both been charged with one count of assault occasioning bodily harm. It will be alleged they were parties to the offence.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Yesterday a 14-year-old Kawana girl was charged with one count of assault occasioning bodily harm, stalking and common assault.

All three girls will be dealt with under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act.

UPDATE: A 14-YEAR-OLD girl has been charged after she was filmed viciously attacking another 14-year-old girl near a Queensland school on Tuesday afternoon.

Police said a 14-year-old girl was assaulted on a walkway near Yaamba Road, North Rockhampton just after 3pm on Tuesday.

The vicious attack was filmed and the footage was later posted online where it was seen by thousands of people across Australia, prompting Education Queensland to respond.

The video was removed by its user on Wednesday night.

If is further alleged the victim was also assaulted during an earlier incident at an education facility on February 6.

Police arrested a 14-year-old Kawana girl on Wednesday afternoon. She was charged with one count of assault occasioning bodily harm, stalking and common assault.

She will be dealt with under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act.

EARLIER: THE State Government have today announced they will crackdown on students who film schoolyard fights after a vicious attack on a girl near a Queensland school was filmed and posted online yesterday.

The shocking footage showed an aggressive schoolgirl hurling abuse at a fellow 14-year-old blonde girl, summonsing her to a fight in an underpass near a school in Rockhampton at around 3.10pm on Tuesday afternoon.

The 14-year-old girl is seen trying to ignore the abuse by walking away when her attacker gives chase.

In front of parents, young children and a student audience, she is grabbed by the hair and repeatedly punched in the face.

The victim told myGC her attacker had been giving her trouble in the weeks leading up to the attack.

“She wanted to fight me but I told her I wasn’t going to fight,” she said.

“I picked up my bag and went to walk away when she followed me and started attacking me.

“We have spoken with the police today and are wanting to press charges.”

The victim’s attacker later uploaded the video footage online, boasting about the attack on her Facebook page. The video was then uploaded to YouTube by an anonymous group.

“At first I was ashamed when I found the footage online, but the support I have received has been amazing,” the young victim told myGC.

Her 14-year-old attacker has been suspended.

Queensland Education Minister John-Paul Langbroek says he was appalled to see the footage and has promised to crackdown on offenders.

“As a parent, I was horrified and appalled to see that video that many people have seen today,” Mr Langroek said.

“I have spoken to the principal of the school involved and I’ve given her my absolute assurance that she has my support and she’ll receive the departmental support.”

“I want to make it very clear for anyone in our schools who participates in, or encourages, this sort of activity by filming it or by posting it online, that there will be consequences if they do so,” he said.

“We won’t accept it.”

It comes after police investigate a schoolyard fight between two teenage girls at Upper Coomera State College on Monday where a 14-year-old girl was allegedly king hit by another female student in what was believed to have started over a boy.