The Queensland Government has rejected a proposed $3-billion casino resort development on the Gold Coast’s Southport Spit.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk made the announcement at a news conference on the Gold Coast on Tuesday, revealing the Government will instead move forward with a community-led master plan.
“Like many Queenslanders, I have enjoyed visiting the Spit for decades,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“We need to ensure that character is preserved for future generations.
“The Spit offers great opportunities for job creation through tourism, entertainment and recreation.
“What the Spit really needs now is a master plan to revitalise it and increase its benefit to the Gold Coast as a community asset.”
“To be clear, this is not a decision that rules out a future Integrated Resort Development on the Gold Coast.”
Deputy Premier and Minister for Infrastructure and Planning Jackie Trad said the master plan, which includes a three-storey height limit for the area, would ensure the best outcomes for the Coast community.
“And the masterplan that we’re committing to deliver today ensures a future for the Spit which is in accordance with Gold Coast Council’s planning scheme.
“This locks in low-density, three-storey development for our future generations.
“It also helps get the balance right between protecting environmental and community values and allowing appropriate commercial development.”
It is expected the master plan will take 18 months to complete.
Last year, the Chinese ASF consortium released a concept plan “to deliver a new world-class coastal icon earmarked to become the largest tourism project on the Gold Coast in decades.”
The multi-billion dollar Integrated Resort Development included a world-class casino, hotels, signature restaurants, theatres, luxury and boutique retail precincts, serviced residences and conference facilities.