Qld puppy lucky to be alive after eating battery

An inquisitive puppy has had to undergo emergency surgery after choosing a AAA battery as an afternoon snack.

Rose’s parents suspected something was wrong when they found the pooch with a packet of the batteries and noticed one was missing.

“Suspecting she may have possibly eaten it, Rose’s hoomans rushed her to our Tanawha hospital,” Animal Emergency Service wrote in a post on Facebook.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The three-month-old Rhodesian Ridgeback underwent an x-ray at the Sunshine Coast clinic which confirmed the worst, she had indeed ingested one of the batteries.

“The x-ray was as clear as day… Rose had made a meal of the battery,” the Vet confirmed.

They then performed an endoscopic retrieval, which the Animal Emergency Service described as an “incredibly useful and non-invasive way to remove foreign objects”.

“This is when a long, flexible tube with a lighted camera and a grasping tool at its tip is inserted down the oesophagus/stomach,” they said.

Thankfully the procedure was successful and the mischievous pooch went home “much happier with the promise to stay away from batteries in the future”.

The post has since received dozens of comments with people praising the dog’s owner for their prompt actions.

“OMG so lucky your owners noticed one missing,” one person commented.

Subscribe
Notify of
1 Comment
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

[…] Qld puppy lucky to be alive after eating battery – myGC.com.au – An inquisitive puppy has had to undergo emergency surgery after choosing a AAA battery as an afternoon snack. Rose’s parents. […]