Qld records one new local COVID-19 case linked to Victorian outbreak

QUEENSLAND has recorded one new local case of COVID-19, linked to the growing outbreak in Victoria.

It’s believed the woman in her 20’s, who studies in Melbourne, visited an exposure site there on July 10 before travelling to Queensland during the study break.

Chief Health Officer, Dr Jeanette Young she was infectious in the community from July 15 to 17, visiting several places around the Sunshine Coast. She also travelled to Cairns, using several modes of public transport before her flight.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“She travelled from Melbourne to Maroochydore on the 13th of July and she received an SMS from Victorian Health authorities on the 15th of July because she had been at the Young and Jackson pub on the 10th of July and that was declared a Tier 1 site by Victoria,” Dr Young said.

“She then immediately went and got herself tested and she tested negative.”

On Thursday, July 15, she visited the Sunshine Coast Plaza, specifically the Universal Store. That evening she also attended the popular Rice Boi restaurant at The Wharf at Mooloolaba.

“Anyone who attended the Rice Boi restaurant at The Wharf at Mooloolaba between 6.45 and 8pm that night to immediately come forward and get tested and isolate until contacted by public health as to what else they need to do,” Dr Young said.

The following day, she travelled to Maroochydore train station and caught the 615 bus to Landsborough station and then travelled by train to Eagle Junction and then caught the airtrain to Brisbane Airport where she travelled on Virgin Flight VA791 to Cairns. She was wearing a mask throughout her travels.

A relative then picked her up at the airport and drove her to her home in Mareeba where she isolated until getting a test on July 18, which returned a positive result last night.

A full list of exposure sites will be released by Queensland Health later today.

It has been confirmed the woman was fully vaccinated.

“Which does reduce the risk, but doesn’t remove the risk,” Dr Young said.

Acting Premier, Steven Miles, reminded travellers who have come into the state from Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia to closely monitor interstate exposure sites.

“Monitor those websites for which contact locations are of concern and follow those directions very, very closely,” Mr Miles said.

“That’s where the risk of community transmission is. It’s in Queenslanders and in people coming to Queensland who have been at those locations.”

Health Minister, Yvette D’Ath said it was vital anyone who had been to an exposure site isolate for the recommended time.

It is required by Victorian Health that anyone who has visited a Tier 1 exposure site must immediately isolate, get a COVID-19 test, and quarantine for 14 days from the date of exposure, meaning the woman should not have gone back out into the public despite the original negative test.

“For anyone who should be quarantining at home, we remind you that it is a lawful direction to actually stay at home,” Minister D’Ath said.

“And also it is a lawful requirement for you to comply with directions from other jurisdictions if you have been to their exposure sites.”