Queensland has recorded three new local cases of COVID-19, ending plans to ease restrictions on Friday as planned.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed a 12-year-old boy, his father and a worker at the Brisbane International Airport were among those who tested positive.
The young boy returned from the United States and completed quarantine in Sydney before flying into Brisbane on Friday, July 9 on Qantas flight QF544.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
He became unwell that night and saw a doctor before getting tested on Tuesday, returning a positive result yesterday.
His mother has so far tested negative but his father has tested positive.
“He did not travel to the United States, but he did go to the airport to pick up his son and his partner,” Chief Health Officer, Dr Jeanette Young said.
“He works in a financial services firm at Cotton Tree near Maroochydore and went to work yesterday while infectious so we will be contact tracing there.
“We don’t believe that either the child, their mother or the father have been to my other exposure venues, but of course we are going through and talking to all three at the moment to see where else they might have been.”
Officials believe the boy contracted the virus somewhere in Sydney, possibly in hotel quarantine.
“We are just working that through – where he’s acquired it in Sydney.,” she said.
“He’s definitely unrelated to any of our cases here in Queensland.”
The third care was a fully vaccinated airport worker, a woman in her 40’s.
Dr Young confirmed she was deemed infectious from late on Sunday and visited a number of sites in Brisbane this week.
“So we now will work through again getting genome sequencing results as to how she has acquired the infection,” Dr Young said.
“There is multiple ways she might have acquired it. We really have to wait for that whole genome sequencing result.”
The Premier confirmed that the new cases meant that the easing of restrictions, which was due to happen at 6am tomorrow, has been held off for at least a week.
“That is to avoid a lockdown,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“We want to get on top of those cases.
“Another week of wearing masks, but it’s the right thing to do.”
It means gathering limits on pubs, clubs and restaurants will remain at one person per four square metres indoor and one person per two square metres outdoors. House gatherings are limited to 30 people.
Mandatory mask rules will also remain in place.