The State Government has announced they are bringing back the border pass declaration system for anyone who travels to Queensland from Victoria.
It means that as of 1.00 am this Saturday, anyone who has been in Victoria will be required to fill out a border declaration form to enter the sunshine state.
The move comes in the wake of the COVID-19 situation at Melbourne’s Holiday Inn, with that virus cluster now standing at eight cases.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Acting Health Minister Steven Miles said that at this stage it is still too early to declare Melbourne a COVID-19 hotspot, however, he said the border passes will make it easier for Queensland Health to gather information should the situation worsen.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk also confirmed the news, tweeting “From 1am on Saturday, 13 February, Queensland will reinstate border declaration passes for anyone travelling to Queensland from Victoria.”
“The coronavirus cluster in Melbourne has now grown to eight cases, but thankfully there is no community transfer at this stage,” the Premier said.
“Our top priority is keeping Queenslanders safe and we will continue to monitor the situation closely.
“As a precaution, travellers will need to confirm they have not been to any of the exposure sites listed by Victoria’s Department of Health.”
To view the list of affected venues in Greater Melbourne, you can visit the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services website.
Border checkpoints will not be reinstated at this stage, however, police have previously admitted they can be back up and running within 24 hours of being notified of border changes.
Queensland has recorded one new case in the past 24 hours, with a returned traveller testing positive in hotel quarantine.