Qld travel bubble possible as concerns grow over Victoria spike

The Premier is not ruling out reopening Queensland to other states except Victoria as it deals with a fresh outbreak of coronavirus.

But Annastacia Palaszczuk insists it is not the preferred option and she will wait until the matter is discussed at National Cabinet on Friday.

It comes as Queensland records another day with no new coronavirus cases.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Just three active cases remain across the State, with two of those on the Gold Coast.

Victoria has recorded more than 100 new cases of COVID-19 in the last week, prompting officials there to reimpose some restrictions on gatherings, and delay the easing of restrictions in pubs and restaurants.

It also saw Queensland’s Chief Health Officer declare all of Melbourne a ‘hotspot’ along with a number of surrounding areas, including Geelong.

The Premier says the timeline for making a decision on Queensland’s borders has not changed, and the Chief Health Officer will make a call at the end of the month.

But she admits the situation in Victoria is a major worry.

“The AHPPC has also said they have concerns about Victoria and I have concerns about Victoria. The Health Minister has concerns about Victoria,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“There is a lot of active community transmission happening in Victoria and I hope that Victoria can get this community transmission under control.”

“Whatever assistance we can all give to Victoria, we should because it is absolutely crucial that we don’t want to see a second wave.

“That’s something else that people stop me in the street about, they say to me ‘we do not want to see a second wave in Queensland.”

The Premier says it’s too early to say if the situation in Victoria will delay plans to reopen Queensland to interstate travel on July 10.

Ms Palaszczuk said calls to only reopen Queensland to some states was not ideal but National Cabinet will discuss the matter on Friday.

“Well, the Prime Minister has made it very clear that he does not want that to happen. I understand South Australia has moved into that direction, but I think it’s something that we all need to look at in terms of what is happening in Victoria.

“We will make these decisions at the end of the month. We’re not going to pre-empt National Cabinet, I’m going to wait to see what National Cabinet has to say on Friday, that’s the responsible thing to do.”

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments