Qlders warned about the dangers of feeding pets human treats this Xmas

We’re being reminded about the dangers of feeding human treats to our beloved pets this Christmas season.

RACQ conducted a survey with their customers and said almost everyone knew the risks human treats posed to pets, however almost 21% admitted their pet had accidentally eaten chocolate in the past.

“While it’s wonderful to indulge your four-legged friends at Christmas, it’s important to remember not all human treats are safe for animals,” RACQ spokesperson Kirsty Clinton said.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“Chocolate, dried fruit and nuts are all no-nos for dogs and cats – so while you may mean well, please don’t share your fruit mince pies or chocolates with your pets.”

Ms Clinton said other foods which can be toxic for animals include onions, chives, garlic and leeks.

“Also, pay extra attention to what you leave under the tree when you’re not home. Dogs can sniff out food and have been known to get into gifts left under the tree, sometimes eating straight through the paper!”

Ms Clinton said many pet owners opted to avoid the risk by providing their dog or cat a gift of their own.

“Our research found Queenslanders will spend more than $52 million on Christmas presents for pets this year, with edible gifts near the top of the list,” she said.

“Interestingly, dogs tend to have more spent on them than cats, with owners spending almost $25 per dog versus $20 on cats.”