It has been confirmed Queensland Parliament’s inquiry into aged care will look into the Gold Coast nursing home which suddenly closed last month, leaving more than 70 elderly patients stranded.
In a statement on Friday, the State Government revealed they will “use all of its coercive powers” to get to the bottom of what went on at the now closed Earle Haven nursing home in Nerang.
It comes after shocking details were revealed in a Federal Inquiry yesterday, claiming residents at the facility were allegedly restrained and drugged.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“Our investigation follows damning evidence at the Royal Commission hearings this week about poor management practices, understaffing and the overuse of physical restraints and psychotropic drugs on elderly residents at Earle Haven,” Health Committee Chair, Aaron Harper said.
“People are deeply shocked by what has happened there, and angry at the apparent failure of the federal agencies that are supposed to protect the safety and wellbeing of the elderly in nursing homes.”
Mr Harper said the Earl Haven crisis is a “national shame” and vowed to ensure it never happens again.
“We feel for every one of the former residents and staff from Earle Haven and their families whose lives have been turned upside down over recent weeks. Everyone deserves answers. Our priority is to ensure what has happened at Earle Haven doesn’t happen to other homes and residents.”
The committee is now calling for residents and their families, former staff, doctors, industry bodies and anyone else with information about events at Earle Haven to come forward and provide a written submission.
They said submissions to the investigation will be protected by parliamentary privilege and can be sent to email@example.com