Queensland records no new coronavirus cases after 19,000 tests

Queensland has once again recorded no new cases of coronavirus, as Brisbane continues a strict three-day lockdown.

It comes after a hotel cleaner tested positive, with a highly infectious new strain of COVID-19.

The person visited a number of locations around the city, causing authorities to lockdown all of Brisbane.


However, there has not been any new cases diagnosed since the lockdown began, with reports we’ve made it another 24 hours without a case of community transmission.

Over the last 24 hour period, more than 19,000 tests were carried out, but the Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young is still urging more people to come forward.

“We acted very, very fast and people have responded and we have tested large numbers, which is really good.

“It is too early to actually say what this new virus means. This is the first time we’ve seen it in our community in Australia, we know what has been going on in the UK, but it is very hard to unravel, because they came from a different position to us.

“So this is all about learning every single day, but taking the most precautionary approach possible, because we don’t want this to get out there stop it is too early to say whether or not there will be cases.

“We think there won’t be cases, but we have to be very careful, and everybody needs to do what they have in doing,” Doctor Young said.

There’s still no word on whether the lockdown will be extended or not just yet, the Premier confirming they’ll wait until tomorrow’s results.

“This has been a really great response from people in the greater Brisbane community, and we need to keep it up.

“Monday 6pm is the day and we will be updating you again tomorrow morning at nine o’clock to see how our cases have gone overnight as well,” Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

Related article: Alert issued for Sunshine Coast over fears of highly infectious COVID strain

Meantime, police say the compliance of Brisbane residents has been very good, reporting only 21 infringements over the lockdown period.

That included a small party in Newtown yesterday, which had to be broken up.

Deputy Police Commissioner Steve Gollschewski says everyone’s done very well.

“There have been 15 penalty infringement notices in the last 24 hours, 21 since we started, a remarkably low amount.

“These have been for reasons like people having too many people at their homes, for example, a party that was broken up, and people occasionally refusing to wear a mask when police continue to offer them to people.

“We saw that protest activity in the city yesterday, where a 70-year-old person failed to follow directions.

“We have seen much better behaviour from retail outlets, particularly the shops, that is great, please keep that going,” Mr Gollschewski said.

Notify of
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Stop with the scare tactics