Queenslanders reminded of electrical safety over winter

Queenslanders are being reminded of the importance of electrical appliance safety checks, as we head into the colder months.

RACQ has recorded almost 1,000 claims for fire damage to homes in the past three years.

Spokesperson Lucinda Ross says insurance claims reveal home fires were most commonly caused by mechanical or electrical faults, with almost 280 claims caused by appliance issues.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“With temperatures dropping rapidly across the State, there’ll be plenty of old heaters and electric blankets pulled out of the cupboard.

“It’s really important every homeowner completes a thorough check of the appliance to avoid running the risk of a home fire this winter,” Ms Ross said.

But it’s not just heating appliances that can cause damage.

Statistics also show cooking incidents rate as the second most common cause of home fire claims.

“Winter can be a very common time for your cooktop or oven to have issues,” Ms Ross said.

“We’ve received more than 185 claims for fire damage from cooking or barbecuing in the last three years, and when many of us are cooking with oil or over gas, a fire can spark quickly and cause widespread damage to your home,” she added.

The top tips for Queenslanders to stay safe this winter including never leaving an oven, BBQ or cooktop unattended, not leaving the electric blanket or heater on while out of the house, regularly cleaning the dryer filter and having an electrician check all wiring and cords in the home.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments