Pop the kettle on and call your friends – it’s time to make a difference in the fight against cancer!
On Thursday, May 26, Gold Coasters are being encouraged to take part in Cancer Council’s Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea.
By hosting an event in your living room, community centre, school or workplace, you’ll be helping raise vital funds for life-saving cancer research and support for over 26,000 Queenslanders who will be diagnosed with cancer this year.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Getting involved in Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea is easy – here are Cancer Council’s six top tips to help get you started:
1. Lock in a date and location: Although the official Biggest Morning Tea date is May 26, you can host an event anytime throughout April, May or June. Why not host an event at your home, a local park, or even team up with a community group to host one?
2. Get creative: If you want to make your morning tea extra special, you can spruce it up with some decorations or a theme. Include your theme on the invites and event page to give your guests a chance to get in the mood and bring food that matches. Theme ideas could include an English tea style event, a great bake-off, or a dress up party with guests invited to dress up in something beginning with ‘T’.
3. Invite a crowd: Send a save-the-date email or sms an invite to friends, family or colleagues. Ask guests to RSVP so you know how many people to cater for.
4. Start fundraising: Send a link to your fundraising page, put a donation box out on the day, or get creative by selling raffles or having a cook-off where people donate a gold coin to vote for the winner. You can also sell Biggest Morning Tea merchandise to raise funds, including limited edition mugs for $10, aprons, wooden spoons, and tea towels.
5. Turn on the oven: Make your morning tea a tasty treat by baking some mouth-watering goodies. Cancer Council has a wide range of recipes available at biggestmorningtea.com.au to help you out. From orange and chocolate scones to pear and ricotta muffins, all recipes are quick and easy, and most importantly, delicious.
6. Enjoy the day: As the day dawns on your Biggest Morning Tea and all your planning comes into fruition, take time to enjoy your cuppa with your nearest and dearest, workmates or friends. Remember that your contribution and efforts are helping to save lives.
To find out more information, register to host a morning tea or order merchandise, visit biggestmorningtea.com.au or phone 1300 65 65 85.