Cancer Council Queensland is encouraging Gold Coasters to be sweet to their loved one’s this Valentine’s Day, but celebrate the day of love in a healthy way.
They have shared some ideas on how to make the holiday of love special while still maintaining your health and wellness goals.
Here are seven ideas that will brighten up anyone’s Valentine’s Day:
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
1. Use this day as an opportunity to tell your loved one how important they are to you, and share ways that you can support each other’s health and wellness. Here is a free downloadable card from Cancer Council Queensland to help.
2. Plan an active outing. Quality time is one of the most meaningful gifts, so why not practice teamwork by heading on a double kayak date or riding tandem bikes.
3. Prepare a romantic candlelit dinner. This is a great opportunity to show your loved one how much you care for them by cooking something special that’s also on the healthier side. By cooking at home, you can control both the ingredients and the portion sizes. Healthier. Happier. have a range of delicious recipes that you could try, from a balsamic beef salad, to sweet treats like this rhubarb and pear crumble.
4. You could try to come up with a red-themed meal together. Different coloured fruit and veggies have different nutrients and health benefits, and as it turns out, many naturally bright red foods (such as cherries, red capsicum, tomatoes, red onion and rhubarb) contain Vitamin C and phytochemicals like lycopene, anthocyanins and saponins.
5. Just dance. Twirling around the dance floor with someone you love is not only romantic, but it’s a good way to get some aerobic exercise.
6. Give a healthy gift. If you both crave sweet things, gift a beautiful fresh fruit basket to your loved one instead of candy with added sugars. A healthy cookbook, personal training sessions or a massage voucher are also healthy alternatives. If you do receive a luxurious box of chocolates from your sweetie, stick it in the freezer and enjoy in moderation over the next several weeks.
7. Choose a gift that gives back! If you’re looking for a little gift, you could shop Pink Ribbon merchandise. There is a pink and silver bangle perfect for jewellery lovers or a luggage bag tag ideal for the constant traveller. Each dollar donated through merchandise sales contributes to eradicating women’s cancer – a cause close to the heart and important for every woman’s health.
For more information, visit cancerqld.org.au/.