Statistics show that in five working Australians will experience mental illness each year, and so the Federal Government is hoping a new “digital mental health gateway” will help Aussies take control off their mental health.
Federal Minister for Health Greg Hunt said the new Head to Health site was created based on evidence that, for many people “digital interventions can be as effective as face-to-face services”.
He said the Head to Health website includes free or low-cost apps, online support communities, online courses and phone services – “a place where people can access support and information before they reach crisis,” the Minister said in a statement.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The website will continue to grow with additional services, a telephone support service and further support and information for health professionals. But currently it includes:
- Hand-picked, government-verified resources and support groups;
- Links to other websites, forums, apps, and chat groups;
- A chatbot to help guide you to the correct service;
- A list of phone and webchat contacts to get immediate support;
- Advice on how to support someone else with a mental illness;
- Ways to “see the bigger picture” on the topic of mental health.