RECALL: Popular movie theatre cups pose serious safety risk

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has issued a recall of the 15,000 ‘Inside Out’ illuminated cups that were sold as part of a promotion.

The products were sold at Event Cinemas in NSW, QLD, SA, WA, ACT and NT between 17 June 2015 and 12 July 2015.

The ACCC considers the product could be unsafe as the button batteries in the lid of the cup may be released because the cover can be opened manually. The button batteries may also be released if the battery cover is not properly in place or if the lid is dropped.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“The ACCC is urging parents and carers to immediately stop using the cup, wrap the lid up and dispose of it in a bin that children cannot access,” ACCC Commissioner Sarah Court said.

“The ACCC is concerned whenever children might swallow any type of button battery. If a toddler or young child swallows a button battery, some types can burn through their oesophagus in just a couple of hours causing serious injury or death.”

“If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately go to a hospital emergency room,” Ms Court said.

Event Cinema asks customers to please dispose of the flashing light lid immediately and retain the cup for return to the location it was purchased. They will post remedy options online, in media notices or at the purchase location.

A list of Event Cinemas is available at http://www.eventcinemas.com.au/Cinema

Picture: ACCC

Picture: ACCC

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments