A SPATE of shark attacks in the state’s north has the New South Wales Premier thinking twice about installing nets.
Mike Baird previously said he was opposed to both the idea of culling and using nets, but a spate of attacks and two deaths in the past year seems to have changed his tune.
But, he’s told The Saturday Telegraph, the large number of attacks was hurting the north coast’s tourism industry and he was now “open to taking any action”.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Mr Baird has been against the use of shark nets “because of its impact on marine life”.
“However … there have been no fatalities (in Sydney with nets). That’s something that should be considered,” Mr Baird said.
In the past year there has been two fatal attacks on the far north coast – at Byron Bay and Ballina – along with a host of maulings.
South East Queensland has netting along our beaches and it’s been almost ten years since someone was taken, when a female swimmer was killed by three bull sharks off North Stradbroke Island in 2006.