UPDATE: Defending Olympic 100m hurdles champion Sally Pearson has confirmed she won’t compete at the Rio Olympics.
The Helensvale athlete has told Channel Nine News she is “disappointed and gutted” to have to pull out of the competition after suffering a tendon injury during training.
“Everyone knows I’m a fierce competitor and I like to represent my country proudly at any competition I go into and unfortunately it’s the biggest sporting event in the world that I’m going to be missing out on and it’s upsetting,” Pearson said.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“I go there (to the Olympics) for 100 per cent effort and I wouldn’t be able to bring that.”
The 29-year-old has been plagued by injuring in the past 12-months after suffering a broken wrist and torn calf muscle in a fall during a race in June last year.
She had struggled to find form and speed in three comeback races in Europe earlier this month.
“The risk of reinjuring and causing more damage and not coming back was very high.
“I still have Gold Coast 2018 (Commonwealth Games) on my mind and if I want to come back for that stronger, fitter and faster than ever then I need to take this time to make sure my body is healed and ready to go.”
Pearson also thanked the public and her friends and family for their support.
EARLER: Gold Coaster Sally Pearson has reportedly pulled out of the 2016 Rio Olympic games.
The champion Olympic hurdler is believed to have torn her hamstring during a training session on the Gold Coast.
She is expected to make an official announcement revealing the devastating news in a press conference on the Gold Coast later today.
The news comes just six weeks out from the games.
There are no further details available at this time.
— FOX SPORTS News (@FOXSportsNews) June 29, 2016
— The Morning Show (@morningshowon7) June 29, 2016