Review launched into mental health treatment of Brisbane bus accused

An internal review into the mental health treatment given to the man charged with the murder of a Brisbane bus driver has been launched.

Health Minister Cameron Dick this morning revealed that the 48-year-old had previously received treatment through public mental health services before the horror attack last Friday.

“I am advised by my Department that the accused had previously received public mental health services through the Metro South Hospital and Health Service,” Minister Dick said in a statement.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“Metro South Hospital and Health Service will conduct an internal review of treatment and services provided to the accused. This is a mandatory process in cases such as this.”

In addition to the internal review, Minister Dick also announced that an ‘independent external investigation’ would be launched.

“Given the very serious nature of this incident I believe it is appropriate that there be an independent external investigation into the treatment provided within the health system to the accused,” he said.

“Accordingly, I have requested the Director-General of Queensland Health to commission an independent investigation under the Hospital and Health Board Act 2011 regarding treatment provided to the accused.”

One of Australia’s leading forensic psychiatrists, Professor Paul Mullen will conduct the independent health service investigation, which is expected to go for 8 weeks.

Minister Dick said any findings and recommendations from the investigation will be released publicly.

“On behalf of all Queenslanders, I extend my sympathy to the family, friends and colleagues of Mr Sharma, and my thanks to the Queensland Ambulance Service and Queensland Health staff for their swift and effective response to the incident.”