Ride-sharing driver charged after man killed by bus in Sydney

The driver of a ride-sharing car has been charged with negligent driving after a man was hit and killed by a bus in Sydney’s CBD.

Emergency crews were called to Elizabeth Street about 3.15am on Saturday 17 June after a man was struck by a bus near the intersection of Bathurst Street.

Police allege the 30-year-old passenger had gotten out of the ride-sharing car at a set of traffic lights, falling onto the road and into the path of a bus when the car accelerated.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Despite desperate attempts by paramedics, the man died at the scene.

Officers from Sydney City Local Area Command launched an investigation and allegedly discovered that the driver of the car had been working for about 21 hours without a substantial break at the time of the incident.

On Sunday, the 30-year-old driver was issued a court attendance notice for negligent driving occasioning death.

He is due to appear at Downing Centre Local Court on January 24.

Uber said in a statement on Tuesday that their drivers are now required to take a break after 12 hours.

“This was a tragedy and our heart goes out to the family,” Uber told myGC.

“Following the incident, we reached out to law enforcement and offered to help in anyway we could.

“On 27 October in NSW, the Uber app was updated to automatically log-off drivers for a 6 hour break when they have been online and driving for 12 hours.

“This policy has helped keep drivers safe on the road and is being expanded to all of Australia starting this Friday December 8th.”

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments