MOTORISTS are being reminded to be mindful of road closures in the heart of Broadbeach this weekend as the annual Blues on Broadbeach music festival gets underway.
More than 150,000 people are expected to swoop on the beachside suburb for the four-day festival, which officially kicks off tonight. Roads will close at 5pm.
Local police have been working with event organisers and stakeholders to ensure the festival is conducted safely with minimum disruption to traffic.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Traffic diversions will be in place, leading to delays and congestion around the Broadbeach CBD.
Scroll down to see a full list of closed roads.
Major Events Group Senior Sergeant Andrew Frick said police would be out in force.
“Officers will be out and about to ensure everyone is having a safe and enjoyable time and that there are only minimal disruptions to businesses and local residents,” Senior Sergeant Frick said.
“Police will also be monitoring and addressing any antisocial behaviour, particularly in regards to liquor offences.
“Members of the public are reminded they can not consume liquor in a public place and by doing so could face fines of $126.”
ROAD CLOSURES (5pm Thursday – 2am Monday)
- Surf Parade between Victoria Avenue and Queensland Avenue
- Queensland Avenue between Jubilee Avenue and Federation Avenue
- Victoria Avenue between Gold Coast Highway and Surf Parade
- Surf Parade between Victoria Avenue and Charles Avenue (limited access to Taxi and Sofitel Hotel residents)
- Local access only of Albert Avenue between Old Burleigh Road and Surf Parade
- The taxi rank will be relocated to the Surf Parade bus stop opposite the Sofitel Hotel (between Victoria Avenue and Charles Avenue)