Rolf Harris given a few years to ponder his future

WHAT now for disgraced Australian entertainer Rolf Harris, who was sentenced to more than five years jail on Friday night our time.

A jury found him guilty of 12 charges of indecently assaulting four girls in the UK between 1968 and 1986, but he will spend less than three years behind bars.

Abc.net.au reported Britain’s attorney-general has been asked to consider whether the prison sentence given to Harris for sexual offences is too lenient.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


However, Justice Nigel Sweeney told London’s Southwark Crown Court the 84-year-old had shown no remorse for his crimes, but ordered half the sentence to be non-custodial.

“Your reputation lies in ruins, you have been stripped of your honours, but you have no-one to blame but yourself,” Justice Sweeney said before Harris was led away.

Harris’s legal team have 25 days to lodge an appeal against the conviction and sentences.

However, UK attorney-general Dominic Grieve has been called on to consider whether the sentence is too lenient and a review is necessary.

There had also been speculation that Harris would face further charges relating to the downloading of child pornography with images allegedly found on his computer in 2012.

But prosecutor Sasha Wass discontinued the charges on the basis it was no longer in the public interest to pursue them given Harris had been convicted of assault.