SA pizza worker’s lie to contact tracers caused harsh lockdown

South Australia Premier Steven Marshall says he is “fuming” after it was revealed a worker at the Woodville pizza bar deliberately lied to contact tracers and forced the state into a strict six-day lockdown.

Mr Marshall said the man claimed that he had purchased a pizza from the pizza shop, when in fact he was actually an employee and had been working there for several shifts.

It turns out he contracted the disease from a fellow worker there, which has now eased concerns about how the man may have picked up the virus.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“To say that I am fuming about the actions of this individual is an understatement,” Mr Marshall said.

“The selfish actions of this individual have put our whole state in a very difficult situation.

“His actions have affected businesses, individuals, family groups and is completely and utterly unacceptable.”

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said had the man been truthful to contact tracers, the state would not have gone into a six-day lockdown.

“The second consequence of that lie is this person has numerous associates, persons of interest that we are now trying to identify and locate that we would not have had to do so had they been truthful from the beginning,” he said.

“There is an absolute need for us to move quickly over the next 24-36 hours to identify and locate these people so we know we have eliminated the risk of this particular strain spreading further into the community.”

In light of the new information, the Premier announced the six-day lockdown would end three days early on Saturday night, because there was no longer a mystery as to how the man became infected.

“I will not let the disgraceful conduct of a single individual keep SA in these circuit breaker conditions one day longer than what is necessary,” he said.

As a result, the stay-at-home order will be lifted from midnight tomorrow, while excerise in family groups is now allowed – effective immedaitely.

Schools will reopen on Monday and funerals  and private gathering will be allowed to go ahead with 50 people.

Weddings will also return to an allowance of 150 people, but there will be no dancing, while gatherings in private residences will be restricted to 10 people. 

Despite “deliberately” lying to authorities, it’s been revealed the man will not face any consequences for his actions.

“The emergency management act requires people to provide information on request. There is no penalty for failing to truthfully answer those questions,” Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said.

“We know everybody will be disappointed about this. This has put a massive impact on our community. People have had their lives upended as a result of information that led us to a course of action that now was not warranted in the circumstances… We’re dealing with what we have got. We are now taking action to amend that,” he said.

There have been three new cases of COVID-19 in South Australia today, however all were already in quarantine.

There are now 25 cases linked to the cluster.

Subscribe
Notify of
1 Comment
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

I don’t get it, wouldn’t working at the pizza shop and handling many customers order’s be worse than just picking up a single order? Wouldn’t the exposure be worse?
But instead now it’s not as bad, so they are lifting restrictions early?