A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for parts of the Gold Coast with areas in the northern suburbs set to be impacted.
A number of storm cells have been moving across the south east including one near Beenleigh.
That storm is moving towards the east and is predicted to affect areas including Hope Island and South Stradbroke Island by 7.10pm and parts of North Stradbroke Island by 7.40pm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The Bureau of Meteorology has warned that these storms could bring intense rainfall which may lead to ‘dangerous and life-threatening flash flooding’ along with damaging winds.
It comes as heavy rain fall continues to fall across most of the Gold Coast with showers and storms expected throughout the evening.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.