A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for parts of the Gold Coast with a cell moving in across the Hinterland.
According to the BOM, severe thunderstorms have been detected on the weather radar near Springbrook and the area south of Canungra.
These thunderstorms are slow-moving and are forecast to affect Numinbah Valley and Little Nerang Dam by 2:00 pm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding is likely.
The storms have already dumped heavy rain just across the border with Numinbah receiving 58mm over an hour.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.