The Bureau has now issued a more detailed severe thunderstorm warning for the Gold Coast as more cells approach the city.
Severe storms have been detected on the radar and are moving in quickly from the west towards the northeast.
They are forecast to affect Canungra, Nerang and Mount Tamborine by 5:15 pm and Beaudesert, Coomera and Hope Island by 5:45 pm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Damaging winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.