The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe storm warning for parts of the northern Gold Coast.
The BOM warns that severe storms have been detected on the radar near Beenleigh and Cleveland.
Those storms are now tracking east.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
They are forecast to impact Jacobs Well and southern parts of Northern Stradbroke Island by 5.50pm.
It is tipped to reach South Stradbroke Island and waters off South Stradbroke by 6.20pm.
The Bureau is warning of heavy rainfall that could lead to flash flooding.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.