RESIDENTS in northeast New South Wales are being warned to prepare for severe thunderstorms.
A severe storm warning is current for the Northern Rivers, Northern Tablelands and parts of Mid North Coast and North West Slopes and Plains Forecast Districts.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns storms are likely to produce large hailstones and damaging winds over the next several hours.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
At this stage, locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Coffs Harbour, Armidale, Tenterfield and Dorrigo.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.