The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:30 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Coolangatta, Kooralbyn and Laravale. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast. They are forecast to affect Beaudesert, Mudgeeraba and Canungra by 5:00 pm and Nerang, Southport and Mount Tamborine by 5:30 pm.
Damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:30 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for parts of the Darling Downs and Granite Belt and Southeast Coast districts.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.